Thursday, September 17, 2009

Please Advise

HELP!!!! Owen has started taking his diaper off consistently at bedtime and naptime and when he wakes from either. Most nights when we check on him before bed he's asleep, completely naked from waist down. He usually hasn't peed any where at this point. We put his diaper and pants back on. When he wakes up in the morning he usually removes his diaper again, this time peeing wherever he pleases. Some mornings I never even hear him and assume he's still sleeping. This happened this morning...and I'm now washing sheets and matress pads. Ugh. I put him down for nap and after 15 minutes I went in to remind him to lay down and be quiet only to find him naked and pee on the floor. I've put the little potty in his room, but he has yet to go on it.

I feel like he's starting to know when he needs to go, but I'm not sure I'm up to training him in my current state. (On the otherside, I'm not sure I'm up to cleaning up daily pee messes in my current state.) Duck tape is an idea...but seems a bit over the top and might not work anyway. Any brilliant ideas for reasoning with a 2 year old? I'm afraid I'm just going to have to potty train him...but will it work for nap and nights this soon?

Changing subjects...we did another NST and ultrasound of Marley and she looks GREAT!!! I'm still in awe that things are going this smoothly. I'm so so excited. My baby showers start this week and I'm getting excited. It's all becoming very real. The boys got to go up to the hospital with us when we did the tests and they were so cute. It concerned them a little to see me laying in a hopsital bed hooked up to monitors. Shepherd kept asking my doctor if Marley was going to get to come out. At one point I looked down and Owen was patting my leg saying "it's okay, mommy". I'm glad that they got to be familiarized with the room. Hopefully it'll make it less scary for them on October 23rd.

Finally the weather is a little cooler here!! I'm enjoying it greatly.

9 comments:

  1. SO glad all is well with your pregnancy!! umm, not sure about owie's problem....can he get pants/shorts off that have buttons and zippers? other than duck tape, i don't knwo what to do. i have heard of this happening. unless you tried undies just to see what he would do ??
    re: reasoning with a 2 y/o...yeah, not happening. spankings are the best reasoning i know of! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mom of the quadville blog duct taped her kids' diapers...and it worked! Can Owen unbutton his shirts? You could you sew some shorts and a button down shirt together at the hem/waist and make your own buttoned down onesie:)

    So glad Miss Marley is doing well!! I can't wait to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry!
    I've heard of moms putting their kiddos in zip-up sleepers (backwards) so that the kid can't unzip to get to the diaper.
    I definitely affirm Jill who said, "spankings are the best reasoning I know..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had that problem with Hayes for a while when he was 2. I started making him nap in adjustable waist shorts/pants with buttons and made sure they were tight enough that he couldn't pull them off without unbuttoning them. I also made him help clean up his messes which he did not like. Night time was the harder problem to solve, but once naps were back under control it was better.
    Yay for Marley! I am so excited that everything is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have only ever heard of duct tape working... but I have a friend who's two year old could get out of that too... Evynn still uses a cloth pull up at night from One Step Ahead that is VERY difficult to get up and down... you might try that

    ReplyDelete
  6. so, i HAVE actually figured out the secret to reasoning with a 2 year old, but i'm saving it for my big break. i'm going to make millions of dollars, just you wait and see. ;)
    onsies is all i can think of. i guess whatever clothing aparatus he can't undo is all i can think of. as far as potty training--with my two, naps and bedtime are in a totally different sphere than actual potty training. you can train a kid to pee and poop anywhere when their awake, but when they're going down to sleep it's a whole different world. their world. :) good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Onesies and footie pj's are the onlt things I can think of. Also, that magazine/website One Step Ahead has extenders for the onesies.

    So glad to hear the news on the NST!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. G did that too and what helped us was a onesie with a pair of shorts or pants over it. He wouldn't go to the trouble of taking it all off. I think spankings would help seeing as it is a pattern. Even after G was potty trained, he wore a diaper at nap because he hadn't quite mastered that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, Andrew went through a phase sort of like that, just a little bit younger than Owen is now. Since he was still small, I put him in zip up pj's with the legs and arms cut off! He looked funny, but he got over it! He randomely did it at naptime two weeks ago too, like 3 times! I gave him a quick pop after two warnings and he quit. Hasn't done it since.

    ReplyDelete