For some reason this is the only picture I can get to upload right now. Oh well.
Two years ago July 26, 2007 I slept maybe 10 minutes. I tossed and turned crying out to God for the health of my baby boy who would be born the next day. I played out every possible situation that could happen the next morning...all the what ifs. I tried to sleep, but there wasn't a chance. I knew my life would be changed the next day and that God would be God no matter what happened. I longed with everything to hear the cries of a newborn as he entered the world, but I knew if there were no cries that God was still God and that He was still good. Tonight my eyes fill with tears as I replay that night of fear in my mind. Could I handle another infant death? Would I survive? How would people respond this time around? What about Shepherd? He needed his mommy too. Could I trust God through this? All night the questions and the prayers went through my head.
On Friday, July 27, 2007 at about 5am after 10 minutes of sleep I got up and showered. I cried. I wasn't sure I could make it through this day. I was thinking that maybe another c-section was a bad idea and Owen should just stay inside for forever. Inside he was alive. Inside he kicked, hick-uped, and played. But outside was the unknown. After getting stuck 5 times for an IV I was ready to walk out and leave. But I didn't. My anesthesiologist came in and prayed over Nate and I. I cried. I knew God was in this.
At 8:39am Owen came charging out of the womb with one hand above his head like a super hero. He was screaming. I promise there wasn't a dry eye in that OR. One of my doctors who is also a good friend had to step away from operating so she could wipe her eyes. It was a miracle.
Owen wasn't the cutest baby (I'm his mom, I can say that.)
He wanted to be held all the time and he loved to cry. I battled between being thankful he could cry and being real about it driving me crazy!! And then he got chunky and we called him Chubbs.
Owen, you are a joy. You love to laugh. You love to do exactly what Shepherd is doing. Your favorite words are "I do it" and "Where's Shepherd?" You love to talk, but when in a group you are quite shy. You are sensitive and friendly. You're our comedian. If we laugh...you continue doing whatever it takes. You haven't been my easiest child...but you've taught me a lot about patience and perserverance. I love you, Owen. I am so thankful that God chose for you to become a part of our family. Your life is a testimony to others about God. You are a light and God is going to use you. You're my baby. Love, Mom
aww!! LOVE that...and i remember checking blogs all day that day to see how Owen was doing and if he came out crying. Happy Birthday sweet Chubbs :)
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday Owie!! Marla, I can't imagine, but am so thankful for Owen and sweet Marley on the way! Thanks for being real:)
ReplyDeleteWow! I can't believe you are already TWO, OWEN!! I remember the day you were born! I am so thankful for your healthy life and that God is blessing you with such a fantastic family! You are going to be a GREAT big brother.=)
ReplyDeleteLove, The Smittle's
What an amazing testimony, Marla!
ReplyDeletethank you for sharing about that day 2 years ago, I'm sure it wasn't easy :)
ReplyDeleteSweet, sweet words...there's a book inside you Marla.
ReplyDelete