Wednesday, June 3, 2009

God things










I love when God reveals new things to me that were there all along, but that I never noticed.
I have the honor of getting to share my heart, my trials, and God's infinite grace through my faith journey tomorrow with the ladies at our church. I'm extremely nervous, but all week have felt God's hand all over this! He's shown me old verses in new light and new verses with fresh appreciation. God's timing is perfect. Tomorrow is June 4th. 4 years ago, June 4, 2005 Porter Hemingway went HOME to be with our Lord. How cool is it that God knew that 4 years later I would get to share with tons of people about His grace through tough times. His timing...not mine.

The past 2 times that I've spoke to a group I've focused more on the pro-life aspect of our story (because on talk was on Sanctity of Life Sunday and the other was for a Hope Pregnancy Center babyshower for MOPS). This time I was asked to focus more on God's infinite grace. So I took my past writings and tried to look at them at a different angle. Earlier in the week during my quiet time I came across 2 Corinthians 4:17 where Paul writes "For this slight momentary affliction is preparing us for an eternal weight of glory beyond all measure." It got me thinking about longing for heaven. God has intensified this longing by taking Halley and Porter to be with Him. I can't wait for Heaven!!

I was talking to Candace and had most of the speech written and was running it by her for ideas. I mentioned that I needed to flip through my old journals and look for any thoughts on God's grace and his perfect timing. After I got off the phone I found my journal from when I was pregnant with Halley and had no knowledge of any problems. During this time I was in a Bible study with a bunch of medwives and we were doing _Calm my Anxious Heart_ by Linda Dillow.

It was incredible looking back at what I was studying and how God was preparing my heart...before I even had a clue. Week One: we studied Philippians 4:11-13 "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13I can do everything through him who gives me strength." It was all about contentment--being satisfied with where the Lord has me when He has me there.

Week 2 we studied Philippians 4:6-8 "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."

And then week 3 was Psalms 139:14 "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Your works are wonderful. I know that full well."

A few weeks later we talked about giving all our "what ifs" to God. (I'm struggling in that area again. )


HELLO!!! Was God's timing perfect or what, I just didn't even realize how he was preparing me and giving me Grace before I even needed it. It was the coolest revelation. Oh how He knows what's best and oh, how He guides us each step of the way. I am so thankful I'm not on this journey alone. He is with me every step of the way.

10 comments:

  1. that's awesome...thanks for sharing that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be praying for you tomorrow. Anniversaries like this aren't easy, even though we know they are in an awesome place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God gave me the time this morning to read this. Although we are going through very different situations, the words that you wrote spoke deep into my heart. Thanks, Mar. What a great way to start my day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to hearing you this morning! You've been on my mind and I've been praying for you, friend!

    I guess she is still a she after your official ultrasound??!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for that. Those are some of the same scriptures God has used throughout my cancer journey to encourage me and press me in.

    I love the u/s pics. Did you find out that its for sure a girl?

    I love you Mar. I need to pray for you more and I will.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing Marla...that is a beautiful entry. I especially enjoyed the Phillipians verses. God is so good and it is amazing how the Holy Spirit works within us not only to minister to others but to allow us to believe in the power of God's love and grace!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Luck Marla

    ReplyDelete
  8. congrades on being Pregant i just saw congrades and my preys our with you

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Marla, WOW!! I know you were able to touch MANY women's hearts the other night...praise the Lord! Thank you for your open and willing spirit!

    ReplyDelete