Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Tis the Season...






Has it really been almost a month since I updated? Shame on me. I try to update often enough so that I don't lose my readers. Now that I only have about 5 readers, I'm not sure I should stress about it.

I love this time of year! Last year I kept reciting Luke 2:19 "But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart." I think that's just my Christmas verse in general, because it has spoken to me again this year. I just don't want to get so busy that I miss it. I want to sit and play with the kids. I want to drink hot chocolate and talk and laugh. I don't want to be so stressed and running around that my kids just remember that instead of peace.

Does a Christian Christmas and Santa mix? The great debate. Nate and I grew up thinking different things about Santa. Neither way was right or wrong--just different. Now as a family we get to make our own traditions. We're very excited. Concerning Santa, we tend to take a relaxed approach. First and foremost we want Christ to be honored and at the center of our Christmas. We do this several ways: birthday party/cake for Jesus on Christmas eve, went to a journey to Bethlehem live nativity, Family Life's What God Wants for Christmas every night before bed, obviously talking about Jesus' birth, and reading the Christmas story, baby Jesus isn't in our nativity manger--we will open him as the first gift on Christmas day. I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but you get the drift.

Secondly, we want this to be a magical season with lots of fun traditions. That's why I did the Elf thing. We have fun with it and it adds suspense and surprise. We talk about Santa---you can't really ignore his existence. I ask the kids if they think he's real...and leave it at that. We don't really say our gifts are from Santa, but Nate's parents do and we think that's great. We do stockings, we don't do pictures unless it's free (I'm cheap like that), at the same time I don't want my kids to "ruin" it for other kids.

We know lots of people that did Santa...and obviously now know that he's not real...and they aren't scarred and they love Jesus...I think there's a balance.

Hummm...what are your thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. I grew up with pretty much no traditions that weren't religious in nature. I think that I was brought up with Christmas being a very solemn time. I want to make sure my kids think it's fun and exciting too! (we are going to bake Jesus a cake this year, and also give gifts to a needy family). Oh yeah, and Nathan said Jesus' cake HAS to have sprinkles, lol

    ReplyDelete