Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Lessons I learned in Dominican Republic

We updated our passports, packed up all our gear and flew a million miles away to the great country of Dominican Republic.  The occasion: my baby brother's wedding!  How is it possible that John is ready to get married.  He's still 10-right???  Nate and I had to cut our trip short by 3 days...so it ended up being a bit of a whirlwind.  But we survived and have some great stories to tell!  

As I've reflected back over my time there are a few things that drove me crazy while I was there...but hindsight I want to actually apply some of these "crazy" things to my own life.

  1. Dominicans never hurry up.  This was exhausting while visiting their country.  When they said the bus was leaving at 1---guess who was waiting at 1 for the bus---all the Americans!  The bus ended up leaving at 3:30.  My brother said, "Everyone's just relaxed...let's have the rehearsal tomorrow." I knew we weren't in America.  Everything ran late, the Americans stressed and the Dominican were completely relaxed.  On their own little schedule I guess.  I can't tell you how many times a day I say these words "hurry up" "come on" "speed it up" "right now".  I could learn a lot by slowing down and not rush rush rushing---all just for a park date.  Great read here by Angie Smith.   
  2. "Can't complain!"  Americans--we like to complain.  If we don't get our eggs scrambled the way we like them we feel the need to let everyone know.  Dominicans seemed so happy to be along for the ride.  No bano for miles, no problemo!  I never heard any of them complain.  Now let me be honest here...I don't speak spanish.  So maybe they were complaining and I just didn't understand what they were saying.  Ha!  It did seem though that they enjoyed much while living on so little.  And that is what I want to take a lesson in.  
  3. Smiles and hugs go a long way.  Even though I didn't speak spanish, I can smile and hug and that was enough to bridge the gap.  I need to smile more and hug more here in America.  My kids.  My neighbors.  My friends.  My sweetie.  
Enough about me...the wedding was gorgeous.  John and Pamela were the cutest couple.  They love the Lord and their wedding was God honoring.  It was a privilege to be a part of it all.  



















1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete