Sunday, September 18, 2011

Inspired

It was this wall hanging in the Pottery Barn catalogue that started it all.  Made of wood and not even for sale.  Not that I would have bought it.  Ever since moving into our new house we've needed big wall art at a very inexpensive price.  The wheels started turning...maybe I could replicate this for free.

















Step 1:---find some old wood laying around in your neighbors yard that he'll give you for free.  




Don't be scared of dirt, gunk, and critters.



Step 2: find a small person to help you clean the wood.  A brittle brush and a cute kid is a plus.




Step 3:  let wood dry.
  


Step 4 (not pictured): decide how big you want it to be.  Saw boards as needed.  Screw into 2 boards going vertically along back.

Step 5: decide on saying/verse/quote/motto and get out some black paint and letter stencils (I already had both.)





Enjoy final product and be proud for turning trash into treasure all for FREE!!



UPDATED:  I did sand the final product with a small hand sander.  Sandpaper would work find.  This gave the letters the distressed look and also helped rid the boards of splinters and dirt.  I didn't wax, stain or seal anything.  I might regret that later, I don't know.  I've also eyed some old fence pickets to use, and I probably would stain them until they reached a desirable color.  The pickets I have have aged differently and are a more gray color vs. the rich browns of my Micah project.  

The question was also asked when I had time to do this.  As you can see from Owen "helping me" clean, most of the time the kids were awake and "helping me".  This project didn't just happen over night, it was more of a month of minutes here and there.  

2 comments:

  1. Marla!!! That looks great! What in the world did you do with Marley while you did all that? Please don't say she just played happily a safe distance away (unless, of course, she did that, and she's just that amazing). =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you stain it? Seal it? Wax it? Anything else? Cause you're actually making it look doable? I'm getting nervous...and eyeing that old fence that just came down behind me. hmmm...

    ReplyDelete